As we approach Thanksgiving I am moved to recall past events or routine encounters in my daily life that make me grateful I’m a dancer. I’m sure that dancers everywhere appreciate the values that dance, and especially ballet, instill into them. I’m grateful that dance taught me to keep trying until I figure something out, to be on time (if not early) to any appointments, to be patient with myself and others, to notice the beauty of things all around us, to recognize classical compositions and composers, and to keep myself healthy and strong — to name but a few!
Are you really a dancer?
What reasons make you thankful to be a dancer? Leave them in the comments!
Here are 9 of mine…
1. One time my dad and I got stuck on the way to ballet in a snow storm and kept frostbite at bay by putting lamb’s wool in our shoes.
2. In 9th grade I got upset over a boy and ate a whole bag of Reese’s cups without gaining a pound.
3. On final exam day I didn’t hear my alarm clock but wasn’t late because I could get dressed in 30 seconds flat.
4. I’m thankful I can get whipped cream on my hot chocolate at Starbucks.
5. I’m thankful I can hop up on the kitchen counter to reach something on the top shelf of my cupboard.
6. I’m thankful for the ability to jeté over puddles.
7. I’m thankful to walk into my closet and only have skinny clothes to choose from.
8. I’m thankful that no matter how bad a mood I’m in, hearing ballet music in public makes me smile.
9. I’m thankful I don’t have to clutter my bonus room with gym equipment; I can just pull out a chair and do barre.
Here’s a bonus one that’s not so weird, but I’m thankful that I know how much work it takes to become really good at something worth doing.
Leave a comment telling us why you’re thankful for dance in your life!
Hehehe, number 6 made me smile because I really do love jétéing over puddles 🙂
However, it is your bonus answer at the end that I am most thankful for – learning to push through the discomfort and work at achieving something you really want to. Priceless 🙂
We don’t celebrate thanksgiving where I am from but I wish you a wonderful thanksgiving full of great dancing 🙂
Tammy Rhoades says
Ballet Master says
I couldn’t agree more, ballet has given me so much and I hope too you all as well.